Delivery Driver With Van

Courier Van Insurance

Click here now to compare insurance quotes!

Do you drive a delivery van?Are you looking for affordable courier insurance? Than why not let a panel of insurers compete for your business?

Is all insurance for delivery drivers the same?

No! If you are paid to use a van or other motorised vehicle to deliver any type of goods you probably need courier insurance (sometimes called 'Hire and Reward Insurance' or 'Delivery Driver Insurance') of one kind or another to stay within the law.

However there are different types of policy. For instance, one for delivering groceries would not necessarily cover you for Amazon-type parcel deliveries.

Do self employed delivery van drivers need this insurance?

You need to have this cover whether you are employed by a delivery company, or self employed. Even if you work on a contractor basis for companies such as Amazon, Parcelhero, DHL, Yodel, UPS or Hermes it is your own responsibility to make sure that you are properly insured.

How do I make sure I buy the correct courier policy?

Not a problem. When you fill in the quote form you'll be asked about the type of work you do, and goods that you will be carrying, and you'll automatically receive quotes for the right policy.

You'll also be able to ask the insurers any questions you have if there is anything you are unsure of.

How can I find affordable courier insurance?

This may be just the website you are looking for. You can ask for quotes from not only one insurance company but a panel of specialist providers, and with one simple form you could have several of them competing for your business - which could mean lower premiums or more benefits for you!

Whatever type of goods you deliver, whether by van, car, motorbike or scooter, they can look for the right policies for you to compare, at the right price.

Why should I need courier insurance?

If, in exchange for payment, you deliver goods of just about any kind, the law requires you to have this insurance. This applies not only to full time workers but to part time ones too.

What you deliver could be just a single small packet, but the law still applies.

Won't my regular van insurance cover me for small deliveries?

No. Standard vehicle insurance policies, even if they cover business use, will not extend to deliveries. Many delivery drivers use their own vehicles and a large proportion of them are completely unaware of their insurance requirements, and this can lead to disastrous consequences for them.

Isn't the owner of the business I deliver for responsible for making sure I'm properly insured?

Whilst the owner of a business which directly employs delivery drivers, and provides their vehicles, is legally obliged to make sure that those drivers are properly insured, it is also the responsibility of the driver. Also, many self employed drivers work regularly for companies such as Parcelhero, UPS, DHL, Amazon, Yodel or Hermes, that may (or may not) provide certain insurance benefits; but it cannot be taken for granted that this covers all legally essential cover.

Anyone stopped by the police (and delivery drivers are checked regularly - they are an easy target) who is clearly delivering goods, but who doesn't have this insurance, is driving whilst uninsured and is likely to see the vehicle impounded, fines running into hundreds of pounds and driving licence penalty points which could lead to disqualification under the totting up rule. It's as serious as that and pleading ignorance of the law is no defence whatsoever.

What is almost as bad is that if one of these drivers was involved in an accident there is a high likelehood of that person's insurer refusing to pay out on a claim. Since third party claims in particular can be stratospheric if injuries are involved, the rusults could be disastrous.

If I only deliver the odd parcel, or a few car parts, why should I need extra insurance?

The fact that someone is involved in making deliveries makes that person a greater risk in the eyes of the insurers. Sometimes schedules have to be kept to, even in bad weather or heavy traffic, so accident rates tend to be higher amongst deliverers than commuters or business people.

They spend more time on the road, which makes them statistically more likely to be involved in a claim, and many operate on piece work. This means the higher the number of deliveries, the higher the earnings. It also means there is a greater temptation to take risks, which could mean more likelihood of an insurance claim.

As a result most mainstream insurers refuse cover for risks of this sort - or charge extremely high extra premiums.

Who needs to buy courier insurance?

Basically anyone who delivers good for hire or reward, and would normally make more than one delivery per trip. This is where it is different from goods vehicle insurance, which is designed for drivers who take goods to one delivery address at a time and then return to the depot. Some products that are commonly subject to delivery driver insurance include (but are not limited to):

Animals/livestock; antiques and special care items; blood / organs; business and industrial goods; car parts; cash; chemicals/hazardous materials; clothing; electrical equipment; fast food / takeaway food; furniture; household goods; medication; medical equipment; mixed/varies; newspapers; online purchases; pallets; parcels; plant equipment; vehicles; wholesale food.

How do I buy a policy?

Fill in one simple short form and your details will be passed on to members of a panel of insurers, all of whom specialise in insurance for couriers/delivery drivers and all of whom are, of course, fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. They will gather competitive quotations for you and then let you have them. You can then choose which policy best best suits you, from amongst those that you are offered.

Is courier insurance expensive?

Not necessarily. It is likely to cost more than a routine motor insurance policy but every case is looked at on it's merits. Someone delivering a couple of parcels every now and again shouldn't have to pay a great deal more but there are greater risks for those working full time and carrying out anything up to 80 or 90 drops a day. However, comparing quotes from a number of specialist insurers can help to keep costs to a minimum.

Either way it's likey to be a lot cheaper than having a van impounded as well as facing a three figure (at least) fine; and certainly far cheaper than putting in an insurance claim just to have it refused, and being sued for third party costs.

So, get some quotes now. The cost may well be a lot less than you expect!

Click here for quotes now!

How it works

  • You fill in a simple form, giving some details of what you are looking for.
  • Depending upon your requirements, selected insurers from the panel will be asked to collect quotes for you.
  • You will receive quotations to compare.

You may need courier insurance if you carry the following goods:

animals or livestock blood or organs business goods car parts cash or valuables chemicals clothing dangerous goods electrical equipment furniture household goods medical equipment medication mixed parcels newspapers online purchases pallets Parcels Plant Equipment takeaway food vehicles waste and refuse wholesale food near me
British Insurance Brokers Association Logo