retrieve quote image

If you are looking for

Grocery Delivery Insurance

Do you deliver groceries?

Then you'll need the right insurance for your car or van, whether you are a grocer offering a delivery service, or someone who delivers for one. So, why not let a team of insurers compete to find you the right policy?

Do You Need Special Insurance for Delivering Groceries in Britain?

Yes. Firstly because it is illegal to make home deliveries without a special kind of insurance, known as 'courier' or 'hire and reward insurance', and secondly, because carrying groceries involves certain risks to you, yourself!

Stop Press!

A number of van insurers are now offering Instant Online Quotes for van insurance (sorry, not car or two wheeler) with Hire and Reward (Courier) Insurance!

Up to 60 insurers can be invited to quote; how many will provide them depends on many factors but why not see what they can offer now on our van insurance page?

Why is this 'courier' insurance mandatory?

Delivery drivers are at greater risk of having a road traffic accident because of the following:

  • Pressure to make multiple deliveries on time
  • Higher than average mileages
  • Unfamiliar delivery addresses
  • Frequent parking problems

This means that getting the groceries to the customer can involve higher than average risks, which means that vehicle insurance that covers these risks is mandatory. Oh, and let's not forget that stealing from grocery delivery vehicles is not uncommon; the contents of your van are very easy to sell on!

Is this the same insurance that hot food delivery people have?

No. The insurers need to know the type of products you carry and the policy is designed accordingly. One that covers deliveries of mixed groceries cannot usually be used for hot fast food, and vice versa.

It is often a lot cheaper than hot food delivery insurance (which can be very expensive because of the awful accident rate), all other things being equal. Unlike the person carrying pizzas and curries, there are normally fewer deliveries, less pressure to deliver before food is spoiled, and the work is usually carried out during the day, when accident rates are lower.

grocery delivery

So what sort of insurance do I need?

At the absolute minimum you will probably need courier insurance for your vehicle, since it is legally essential if you are paid for carrying goods. Without this you could well get charged with driving whilst uninsured. As usual this could be comprehensive, third party only, or a mixture of the two.

You might also want to have goods in transit cover (which is often bundled with courier insurance) in case light fingered rascals take off with some or all of your load, and personal accident insurance. Public liability insurance is useful too, in case you damage anything or hurt anyone whilst carrying your groceries to the customer.

Often you can get an insurance package to cover all of these risks at a much lower cost than buying them separately.

OK, how do I proceed?

Just fill in a simple form, and depending on your exact requirements up to three insurers will send you quotes for you to compare, without, of course, any obligation on your part. Needless to say, for your protection they will all be fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

So don't delay - get quotes now!

There are a lot of different insurance companies out there, but it's important to make sure you're getting the right cover from a trusted provider. This is why you will only get quotes from top-tier insurers to give you the best possible protection.

How it works

  • You fill in a simple form, giving some details of what you are looking for.
  • Depending upon your requirements, up to three selected brokers from the panel will be asked to collect quotes for you.
  • You will receive broker quotations to compare.

Click here for quotations

British Insurance Brokers Association Logo